Thursday, August 1, 2013

Blue-Faced Arnold Palmer

Through these last couple of months, I have been taking part in a really fun photography-type scavenger hunt contest. There were several categories to enter pictures into, and there were 100 pictures on the list. And there was no way I'd be getting some of the topic requests on the list, but it made me do some searching...and take some additional creative moves.

One of the categories on the list was "Colors"; one of the photo topics was "a blue mixed drink". I really thought I'd be in the vicinity at some point of SOMEONE with a blue mixed drink! That was not to be. But I got thinking. Yes...this can be scary sometimes, but I came up with a non-alcoholic mixed drink that is blue in color!

OK...stay with me:
On the last day of submissions for the contest, I was trying to get as many photos in as I could. I was determined to get that mixed blue drink! My hubby & I are wine drinkers, so blue liquor was nothing we had on hand. But I do have kids...and I have so many packets of Kool-Aid, it's ridiculous.

I used to make cupcakes with Kool-Aid mix that was raspberry lemonade flavored. Boy, was it ever tart!!! I didn't have any of that on hand, but I did have blue Kool-Aid, lemonade...and I needed to make a jug of tea.

I made a version of an Arnold Palmer (you know...lemonade & iced tea) that would be perfect for this photo challenge as well as for the future...

Here's what I did:

~~~~~~~~~~



BLUE-FACED ARNOLD PALMER


Ingredients:

~ 1 envelope Kool-Aid, lemonade flavor
~ 1 envelope Kool-Aid, berry mix flavor: MUST BE BLUE (I used Berry Blue flavor)
          * makes 1 gallon

          OR

~ 1 or 2 envelope(s) Kool-Aid, raspberry blue flavor (if available)
          *1 envelope for 2 qt or 2 envelopes for 1 gallon

~ brewed unsweet, slightly sweet or sweet tea, iced
~ crushed ice


Directions:

* Mix the Kool-Aid to package directions, chill in the refrigerator (I used the 1st option mix)

* Brew tea & add the selected amount of sweetness, if any; chill in the refrigerator

* In a glass, add crushed ice, then begin to add 1 part tea & 1 part blue Kool-Aid (you may do 2 parts 1 drink to 1 parts the other drink, if preferred)

* Marvel at how pretty & adorable this drink is & consume


NOTE: 
- If the appearance of layers is good! It gives the drink a really awesome appearance. It may layer better if you pour the tea first. (so it looks more like the right side of the above picture)
- If you put this in a taller glass, use a really fun straw! Add an umbrella, too.
- Before filling the glass, wet the rim & dip the rim in sugar for presentation
- Yes, you can spike this if you'd like, but this way is definitely family friendly...and Arnold Palmer does order his nonalcoholic...with a wink.

~~~~~~~~~~

This drink is so fun & so yummy!! Your kiddos will love it, too!

And be sure to go visit my friend, David, at Hipstabear Photography (website HERE) and on his Facebook page (HERE). He's the one who actually inspired me to make this drink...all for a photo challenge! And his photos are really spectacular, too!!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment