Friday, November 1, 2013

Easy Orange Chicken

My youngest surprised us by saying he really likes one of the lunches from school. And it's certainly one that I never would have realized & am proud of him for trying! He gets very excited when the school lunch menu reads that it's gonna be Tangerine Chicken.

Not too long ago, my youngest wanted to know if we can have it at home, too. Hmmm...I started trying to research it. I did find some recipes for it to try. I attempted one in the lazy cooker, and it didn't turn out well at all! Plus it took a lot of extra work that I didn't want to do.

However, we were willing to try it again...but I was not willing to search far & wide, or even pay more to get tangerine anything. But I did have some orange marmalade hanging around...so I decided to try an orange chicken. And after doing some looking into some recipes & figuring out what might work better for us, here's what I came up with:

~~~~~~~~~~



EASY ORANGE CHICKEN


Ingredients:

1 bag breaded chicken chunks (I used popcorn chicken & some leftover chicken nuggets)
1 jar orange marmalade
1/2 C barbecue sauce (I used KC Masterpiece Original)
1/4 C orange juice
2-3 T cornstarch
1/4 C sweet & sour sauce
3 T soy sauce
3 T teriyaki sauce
2 T ground ginger
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
2 T chili powder
1/2 C mandrin orange slices with syrup
1-2 T dried orange peel or zest of orange
1-2 palms full of sesame seeds


Directions:

Cook chicken in the oven to package directions

Place remaining ingredients in a large pot & bring to a boil on medium heat

Once orange sauce is boiling, lower to a simmer & stir occasionally

Once chicken is done in the oven, pull out & add to the sauce in the large pot

Be sure to coat the chicken chunks, thoroughly, with the orange sauce

Serve


Yield: 4-6

~~~~~~~~~~

Oh. My. Yum.

Serve this chicken with steamed rice (we used speedy quick Minute Rice). Even serve it on top of the rice! And it's beautiful!!

My youngest got seconds! That's a huge win! HUGE!! And my hubby was equally impressed. YEA!

So, we will be serving it again. And it would be an easy one to fix up for something like Chinese New Year.


Very happy to be adding another one to the dinner rotations!

Oh...and the popcorn chicken was SO good to use with it!!

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment