Saturday, March 23, 2013

Hericot Vert Toss


Earlier in her show's existance, Rachael Ray did an easy & elegant substitute to a green bean casserole. Whether you like her or you don't, it is a much easier & lighter version. It was green beans & sauteed onions. Then, I saw that Green Giant has a frozen vegetable side that is green beans & slivered almonds. Yummmm...almonds are my favorite edible nut. So...I figured I could combine the two ideas...

Then I got thinking: if it's a switch up to green bean casserole, then where are the mushrooms? Not everyone is a mushroom fan, I know. But that cream of mushroom soup is HEAVY, and so are the deep fried onions. So, I figured I could try to sautee some sliced mushrooms, too.

After I'd already planned on trying this, I saw where someone did a dish that was green beans & sliced mushrooms. And, for the first time ever, I heard the term "Hericot Vert" (pronounced 'harry-co vay'). Woo Hoo! Fancy-schmancy!

So, I decided I love that term with this beautiful dish...so...I present to you:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hericot Vert Toss


Ingredients:
12 oz green beans, blanched or steamed
1/2 - 1 C sweet onion, largely diced
1/2 - 1 C mushroom, sliced
1/4 C sliced almonds, toasted
1/4 C celery stalk, diced (optional)
vegetable cooking spray

Directions:
* toast the almonds, you can do this in your skillet or in the oven; if in skillet, remove from skillet & set aside

* spray your skillet with the vegetable cooking spray, add in sliced mushrooms, diced onion & optional celery to sautee until tender

* while mushrooms, onion & celery cook, either blanch or steam your green beans

* when all is cooked thru, toss green beans, mushrooms, onions, celery & almonds all together

* Serve & enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notice I didn't use any additional seasonings (i.e. salt, pepper, etc.). You know why? Between the toasted almonds, onion, celery (if you use it) & the fabulous green beans...why mess with it? Seriously! Oh...and...Vegans Rejoice! It's filling, too...if you eat it all at once by yourself. Not that I might know that...or...anything...

Oh, I used steamed green beans this time around.



Just gorgeous!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment