Saturday, March 30, 2013

Roast Beast Who Hash - Lazy Cooker


Earlier this month was Dr. Seuss' birthday! And since I love celebrating things, I wanted to find food & activities super fitting to perfectly celebrate!

Especially that dinner thing! I couldn't find any specific Who Hash recipes...but there were some trying to pass off spoonable cornbread or another beef hash recipe...but it just wasn't cutting it! So...I had to do what I've been scaring myself with lately: creating a recipe.

That's right! I decided to make a Grinch-based dinner. Since it is difficult for us to do ham much anymore (my daughter won't eat pork due to pig trauma from a science teacher...grrrrrr), Green Eggs & Ham was not really an option this year. So I created Roast Beast Who Hash!

~~~~~~~~~~


Roast Beast Who Hash (lazy cooker)

2 lb (apprx) beef rump roast
4 C diced bell pepper – variety (fresh or frozen)
½ C diced yellow/sweet onion (or a variety), diced
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 envelope ranch seasoning mix
1 lb (apprx) quartered or diced potatoes (I used baby potatoes in red, gold & purple; you can add a small sweet potato cut into 1 inch pieces, too)
3 T Worchestershire sauce
¼ C water, stock/broth, or cider
6-8 oz frozen shredded hash browns (about ½ bag)

Coat lazy cooker insert with cooking spray. Brown beef slightly & place into the lazy cooker.
Add the peppers, onion & quartered/diced potatoes onto the beef.
Sprinkle in contents of the onion soup mix & ranch seasoning envelopes.
Pour in liquid of choice plus the worchestershire.
Cover with the lid, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
1 hour before serving, add in the frozen hashbrowns.
Stir & make sure beef is piecey or in chunks. Serve.

~~~~~~~~~~

Hubby really liked it!!! The kids are always as hard sell on something new, but may do it again anyway. Because I love my lazy cooker, and I love color...and totally Dr. Seuss.

And to keep it even Seussier, I added a fried green egg on top! If you do the dish...you can just add a regular fried egg. It was a delicious addition!

Roast Beast Who Hash with Fried Green Egg 

Now I have an idea for Dr. Seuss' birthday celebration next year for food. But I thought about it way too late this year! I brought it up to the family, and the kids seem delighted to try it, and hubby seems entertained by the thought. I will share it when we give it a test run. So watch for that one in the future...


ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment