Thursday, January 23, 2014

Scandinavian-Inspired Almond & Cardamom Cakes

I have been on this Scandinavian kick, lately. It all came from doing some research on Leif Ericsson Day, which I missed celebrating this last year, but I wanted be ready for the next time around.

As I had been researching...like I do...I started getting drawn to some of the foods & decor. I also discovered St. Lucia Day, and in researching, will be better prepared for next time around for it, too.

But I digress...

I have taken a liking to the Scandinavian culture & finding out about it. However, I am not Scandinavian at all (I don't think)...but I'm taking on some of the dishes like I have with my Irish dishes (find recipes HERE), but I do have a lot of Irish in me.

Again...I digress...

I took on some baking a few years ago, and really took a hold of the cupcake. But I would play with cake mixes. I've done a couple from absolute scratch, but if I can have a base already, just use it & expound upon it! Right?

Now, if you remember, I discovered the Scandwich, and have been playing, in a near obsessive manner here lately. (see what I've done HERE) But I wanted to try some of the desserts. I've cheated some pastries, but I wanted something different!

Now, I've got some bundt cake pans that I love making breads & cakes with...because they turn out so pretty! They are already presentable, or near presentable, just as they are right out of the oven. *sigh*

Quite some time back, I saw a pan with a set of 6 smaller bundts. So cute! It was like 6 top tiers of a wedding cake...but in bundt form! I really wanted a pan or two of these. Then, because it's my brain we are talking about here, I thought about calling them "baby bundtings"! hehe

So, I had asked for a pan or 2 on my Christmas wish list for the last couple of years. Imagine my surprise when I received a pan that contained 12 tiny bundts! *SQUEEE* I didn't know they made 'em so little! Then, later on Christmas...I got another one! I was so excited!!!

Cake mixes generally make about 24 cupcakes. I now had 24 itty-bitty baby bundtings so I could bake a whole batch at once! Woo Hoo!!

So, I started researching Scandinavian cakes to make...and hopefully, since there's a company called Nordic Ware (so fitting though the pan shape is not Nordic), I thought they were a perfect match...so I matched 'em up!

After doing some research & with my preference of cake mixes, I made some Baby Bundtings out of this:

~~~~~~~~~~



SCANDINAVIAN-INSPIRED 
ALMOND & CARDAMOM CAKES


Ingredients:

Baby Bundtings
1 box Pillsbury Traditional Vanilla cake mix
5 eggs
3 sticks butter, melted
1 1/4 C milk
2 tsp almond extract
2 tsp ground cardamom

Glaze Topping
1 C granulated sugar
1/4 C milk
1/2 T vanilla extract
1/2 t almond extract
sliced almonds


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In a large bowl, put in the cake mix, eggs, butter, milk, almond extract & cardamom

With a standing mixer or hand-held mixer, mix all of these ingredients together until very well blended & completely moist

In your mini bundt cake pan (or cupcake/muffin pan), spray rub down with butter or shortening & flour, or spray with a cooking spray that has flour in it; I used the spray
* If you are using a cupcake pan, you can just use cupcake liners, if desired

Fill each space 2/3-3/4 full

Place the pan(s) into the oven & bake for about 18-23 minutes (depending on your oven), or until golden & a toothpick comes out clean

Once done, pull out of the oven & allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan (if using the mini bundts); if using a regular cupcake pan, allow to cool for about 5 minutes before removing from the pan

While cooling, in a small bowl, pour in the sugar, milk, and vanilla & almond extracts and stir well, until the sugar is dissolved; add in more sugar or milk until you have your desired consistency - and set aside

When cooled, remove from the pan & place each small cake into a cupcake liner (if not already in one)

Take a small spoon & begin to drizzle the glaze over each small cake

Sprinkle a few sliced almonds on top of each cake

Serve

Yield: up to 24 mini cakes/cupcakes

~~~~~~~~~~

Aren't they adorable? I was so happy with how they turned out! I used cupcake liners that resembled a Scandinavian-type pattern to give it a certain je ne sais quoi to match the feel. But you can, of course, use any you'd like.

You could use it as one big bundt cake, too, if you wanted.



As I was "testing" them (*wink-wink* someone's gotta do quality control), I realized how delicious they would be with a cup of coffee! What a great after dinner finisher! Or even after lunch...

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment