Thursday, January 2, 2014

Scandinavian-Style Open-Face Sandwiches

Back in October, my daughter questioned me on what we'd be doing for Leif Ericksson Day. She asked me since I really get into off-beat holidays. However, I didn't realize it was really a day! Now I know that it is, I have been researching viking & Scandinavian foods, amongst other things, to add to our holiday & foodie repertoire. 

I've also been quite drawn to the Nordic designs on sweaters & things...so I began to look into the culture of their Christmastime rituals, too.

Quite some time back, I learned a cheater shortcut to making easy Danish-style pastries & added my own twist (recipe HERE), which I also recreated some Love Danishes to follow up my New Year's Ham & Beans (recipe HERE).

In my researching...I noticed that simple open-faced sandwiches are kind of a staple. And I've been wanting to try some. So I had hoped to serve some up for some company coming over...

One of the things I did not get to do, and had planned on for the non-pork/non-ham-&-bean eaters, was to make some Scandinavian-style open face sandwiches. I didn't get it done in time for the crowd that came over, but I still played with the idea later on New Year's Day. I only used hard boiled eggs for the test run. Here's what I did:

~~~~~~~~~~



SCANDINAVIAN-STYLE OPEN-FACE SCANDWICHES


Ingredients:

* sliced rye or other harder bread (even pumpernickel), crusts removed
* 2-4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
* mayo/mustard/honey-mustard
* ground mustard (optional)
* chives, fresh or freeze-dried (I used freeze-dried)
* dill weed, fresh or dried (I used dried)
* salt & pepper (optional)


Directions:

~ hard boil your eggs in the best method that works for you - I did mine in the oven (usually 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes...but wanted to speed up the process & did 375 degrees for 15...wishing I used the 325, but it was still OK), peel & slice them; set aside

~ take a slice of your bread of choice (I used Pepperidge Farms Rye) & remove the crusts, leaving the bread in a rectangular shape

~ take your condiment(s) of choice & spread onto the bread - if using mayo & want some of the mustard, sprinkle a pinch of ground mustard on top or mix it in (I used French's honey mustard AND some Miracle Whip with olive oil)

~ sprinkle on some of the chive pieces

~ take a few slices of the hard boiled egg & arrange onto the bread

~ top the egg slices with the dill, salt & pepper (I did not use the salt & pepper this time)

~ serve

~~~~~~~~~~

As I researched these sandwiches, I know there's salmon & fish involved, even veggies. I look forward to adding some salmon on them & just play with the idea more, in general!

I used the eggs & honey mustard since my daughter, the non-pork eater, likes scrambled eggs with honey mustard. She isn't fond of hard boiled yolk, apparently, so I can try the egg white rings & egg ends for hers. 

If you noticed, I made designs with my condiments & egg arrangements. They were so mod & adorable! And the rye gave it a really great flavor background.

Along with the arrangement of condiments, I even used the olive oil Miracle Whip AND the honey mustard, too.

These are fun, adorable, EASY, kiddos can help assemble these things easily, and are perfect for a tea, luncheon, brunch, or part of a big ol' smorgasbord!

Pepperidge Farms also makes a rye/pumpernickel swirl sliced bread that I might want to try, too.

Oh the possibilities!!!

Side Note: My friend, Rachael, should be happy I posted this on Thorsday. hehe

ENJOY!
**********
Update:

Finally got some Rye & Pumpernickel swirl bread, along with some smoked salmon & shrimp...


It's the swirl bread with Miracle Whip, honey dijon mustard, pickle relish, a hard boiled egg (sliced), shrimp, smoked salmon, dried dill (sprinkled) & sprigs of baby dill. So pretty, amm-i-rite?


Served it up as a traditional-style Scandinavian lunch with strawberries.
So beautiful...
So yummy...

And I also tried this, too:


Pumperye (yeah...I just named it that) with Miracle Whip, honey dijon, pickle relish, kale (massaged in lemon juice & sea salt), smoked salmon, cocktail shrimp, freeze-dried chives, dried dill & a sprig of baby dill plated along with sliced strawberries & lingonberry fake-out pastry roulade pastry slices.
YUMMY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment