Monday, September 8, 2014

Fish Schlop (Ship-Schlop)

One of these days, I want to make a simple Irish stew, Fish Coddle. If you've ever seen pictures of it, it's beautiful! But it's supposed to be super messy to eat as you use whatever seafood you have around...and it tends to include oysters, mussels, lobster claws, crab legs, etc. Yes, a lot of shell fish. And it's served up WITH the shells!

I don't have shell fish just laying around like that. And I'm not going to pay that much more to stock up on crab, lobster & oysters to make it. Not right now, anyway.

I still love Dublin Coddle (click for my recipes I've done HERE), but we had some frozen fish that I wanted to use. We are trying to pick up eating seafood a bit more habitually, so I wondered how this would turn out.

This would also be awesome for International Talk Like a Pirate Day (September 19th), too (like what I've done before HERE)! So would the Fish Coddle, but if "...nobody ain't got money for that," maybe give this a try! I used the Fish Coddle as a base (HERE), and here's what I did:

~~~~~~~~~~





FISH SCHLOP
(SHIP-SCHLOP)


Ingredients:

1 carton vegetable or seafood stock/broth
1 big splash lemon juice or juice of 1 lemon
2 medium carrots, diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 small potato (russet, sweet, etc.)
1 small onion, chopped
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp pepper (black or white)
Seasonings of choice (parsley, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, chives, etc.)
1/4 pound-ish of shell-less seafood: fillets, shelled shrimp, shelled crab meat, etc.


Directions:

* pour contents of the broth/stock carton into a large saucepan

* add in the lemon juice, salt, pepper & seasonings, bring mixture to a boil

* add in carrots, celery & onion to the pot, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until veggies are tender

* During the last 5 minutes, add in the seafood & allow to cook thru...but do NOT over cook! 5 minutes is about as long as you need.

* Top with a sprinkling of parsley flakes/leaves & serve with bread of choice

Yield: 4-6

~~~~~~~~~~

Super easy to make, especially if you want to use up that little bit of frozen seafood you have in your freezer. It's really light, and good for you! Did I mention the nourishment? Well, you get that, too!

Great for a lunch on a cool day, for sure. I sure liked it!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment