Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Strawberry Icebox Cheesecake - A Healthier Take

The last several months, I have been trying to find more super-easy, total fake out kind of recipes for meals or desserts.

Pinterest is the PERFECT place to go, of course. And I also wanted some simpler-times type of old school inspired stuff to try. The very June-Cleaver-type of appearance...but with the "I Love Lucy" kind of outcome/spin. That's kind of how I work!

I discovered these old icebox cake recipes. I hadn't had a chance to make any yet, but was so wanting to try at least one! So, I started searching out several.

You know what? So many I found used cookies, pudding/custard, candy...all the makings for guilt-induced feelings from gorging on something SO decadent! And...I've got a weakness for decadent.

What could I do to make this decadent dessert not make me feel so bad for all the hard work I've been doing with getting in shape & running. I don't want to feel like I need to run 10 miles to work off a scoop of dessert, especially when I've barely run 5 miles at once.

We are trying to eat better at our house, anyway. So, I begin to plan what this super easy & relatively good-for-you dessert might actually look like.

Well, here's what I did:

~~~~~~~~~~




STRAWBERRY ICEBOX CHEESECAKE
A Healthier Take


Ingredients:

* 1 32 oz. tub of Fat Free Greek Yogurt - Vanilla
* 2 boxes sugar free/fat free cheesecake Jell-O instant pudding mix
* 9 low fat honey graham crackers - halved (to make 18 squares)
* 1 32 oz. tub of frozen sliced strawberries in sugar, thawed (the only bad part of the whole thing)
* 1 8 oz. tub fat free Cool Whip topping, thawed
* several strawberries, rinsed & halved (optional for topping)


Directions:

1.In a large mixing bowl, combine the entire tub of Greek yogurt & both boxes of pudding mix; stir well (it will be VERY thick)

2. Lightly spray a baking or trifle dish, about 8x8, with cooking spray (either butter or vegetable)

3. Line the bottom of the dish with 9 graham squares

4. CAREFULLY use a spoon or spoonula to spread about half of the cheesecake mixture over the top of the graham layer; don't forget this mixture is THICK, so spread carefully

5. Spoon about half of the sliced strawberries in their syrup over the cheesecake layer; try to make it as even as possible

6. Repeat steps 3-5

7. Once all the layers are in the dish, spoon & carefully spread the whipped topping over the top strawberry layer

8. If using fresh strawberries for the top, rinse & cut in half or into quarters & arrange on the whipped topping layer as desired

9. Cover & place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, and probably up to 12 hours; usually it would be in the fridge overnight - just let it all soak & allow the graham crackers to make a soft crust

10. Serve


Yield: about 9-20 (depending on how small you make the pieces)


** NOTE: If you feel the cheesecake mixture is TOO thick to work with, add about half a cup skim milk to help thin it out & still not take away from how good it is for

~~~~~~~~~~

See? Pretty, delicious, and you won't feel guilty about having a big piece of this!

And it went over SO well!! A total win!

It's also given me inspiration to try another like this. When I make it, I promise to share!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment