Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lemon Herb Rainbow Chicken Noodle Soup with Green Tea


This year was supposed to have been the worst flu season on record! And not just flu, but a lot of other junk along with it. And I got hit with yucks. Mine was strep. Ewwww... 

I had been working so hard to stay well, but it didn't really happen. Instead, I had to fight to regain getting well & healthy again.

So, I have decided to take hold of the the chicken & noodles kick. I made some chicken noodle soup designed to help kick this crud where it counts!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Lemon Herb Rainbow Chicken Noodle Soup with Green Tea

2 lb boneless/skinless chicken breast, cooked & shredded
1/2 C lemon juice
80 oz chicken broth
4 C brewed green tea (yes! Green Tea)
1 C celery, chopped
1/4 sweet onion, chopped
1 C carrot, shredded
2 C finely chopped spinach or kale (or other dark leafy greens)
** other vegetables, fresh or frozen - (i.e. bell peppers - all colors, chopped; corn kernels; peas, shelled; butternut or any other squash, chopped; etc.) - the more color, the better...this is the "rainbow"
1 T salt (any)
Ground black pepper, to taste
3 T ground ginger
1/4 C parsley
3 T oregano
3 T basil
2 T thyme
2 T garlic powder
2 T cumin
1 bag whole wheat egg noodles


Pour lemon juice, chicken broth & green tea into a large pot. Bring to a boil.

Once boiling, turn heat down to mid-hi heat. Put in the shredded chicken (I put the chicken breasts in my lazy cooker in the morning so it would be cooked thru & easy to shred by the time I made the soup) into the broth.

Begin adding the vegetables plus the herbs & seasonings to the soup. Continue to let boil on mid-hi heat.

Then add the noodles. Make sure they are tender.

Begin testing the soup's broth to make sure seasonings are to your liking; adjust as necessary.

Let simmer.

Serve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This soup is PACKED with the good for you stuffs! And, it was pretty good. I toned down the amount of lemon juice...I used about 2 cups of it when I first made it...and it was REALLY strong! Didn't need quite that much. Half a cup was just perfect!

And? It's a beautiful comfort food, too!

So...stay well, my friends.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment