Saturday, September 28, 2013

Lazy Cooker Chicken & Noodles

Things are beginning to cool down, and autumn is beginning to rear its head just a bit. This is my favorite time of year! I love fall so much! And I do mean everything about it. EV-ER-Y-THING!!

It also gets me excited to start switching over some of the dinner items served, too. We are still in the transition time in our house: we still grill, but it's time for soups & things in the lazy cooker, too! Have I mentioned that I love this time of year? Just checking...

Now then, our lazy cooker still works just fine, but the handle is falling off...and...well...it's one we got as a wedding gift in 1996. So, we've had it a while. But we haven't been using it as much as we probably needed to until last year.

And since I've been using the lazy cooker (see some of the recipes HERE), my hubby has decided to start putting some of his barbecue meat in the lazy cooker, too. So it's gonna get more usage this time around!

My hubby & I laugh at our changing excitements & wants as time goes by. Nowadays, the thought of a new refrigerator, a fancy washer & dryer, or even a new & updated lazy cooker is drool-worthy! (Yeah...I don't know who I've become, either! But I digress...)

I have been so impressed with the oval lazy cookers that can hold more than 4 quarts of stuff, has a timer, buttons, and a locking lid. And then we went out & found one! Just in time to do a couple of lazy cooker meals this week! WOO HOO!!

Last year, I found this recipe on Pinterest, HERE, for lazy cooker chicken & noodles. Sounded good to me! But I, of course, wanted to make a couple of tweaks to it. I just felt the need to boost some of the overall nutritional value, too.

So, here's what I did:

~~~~~~~~~~


LAZY COOKER CHICKEN & NOODLES


Ingredients:

~ 3 lbs boneless chicken (breasts, tenders, etc.; fresh or frozen - but thawed if frozen)
~ 42 oz chicken broth/stock or water with 4 chicken bouillon cubes
~ 4 small or 2 large cans cream of chicken soup
~ 2 celery stalks, diced
~ 1 carrot stick, diced
~ 1/4 C minced onion
~ 2 handfuls parsley (I used dried)
~ 2 handfuls coleslaw mix (optional)
~ 1 stick butter, thinly sliced
~ 1 handful flax seed (optional)
~ 2 bay leaves
~ 1 bag egg noodles


Directions:

* in the clean ceramic insert, spray the entire inside with cooking spray




* place the (thawed) chicken in the bottom of the insert



I forgot the minced onion here, but I add it in later;
go ahead & add it in on this step
* add in the carrot, celery, minced onion, parsley butter, cabbage/coleslaw (if using), and flax seed (if using)




* cover everything with the chicken broth/stock or water & bouillon cubes (I didn't have enough broth, so I added some water & added 2 bouillon cubes)




* add in the cans of cream of chicken soup




* give everything a good stir, add the bay leaves, close the lid & set the lazy cooker on low for 8 hours




* when 8 hours is up, remove the bay leaves, make sure the chicken is good & chunked into shreds & pieces




* add in the bag of egg noodles (I used whole grain noodles), give it all a good stir & allow to cook on low for about 45 more minutes




* give everything a good stir & serve


Yield: 8-10
~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight was the first time I added the cabbage & flax seed. Guess what! You couldn't taste the difference! So I upped the nutrition & fiber factor without changing the taste. Plus, we've been trying to up the fiber intake in many of our foods, so we have bumped up as much of the whole grains as we can, and I have been sneaking flax seed into a lot of things...and the family doesn't even know! I also used low sodium & heart-smart soups & broths, too. But I always love the color additions of the soup staples of the carrot/celery/onion mix. And I add dried parsley to a lot of dishes (even in eggs)!

As for the taste...it's supposed to be bland! It's supposed to be just a rich & creamy, stick-to-your-bones kind of meal. No need to add a bunch of pepper or salt...or hot sauce. Just allow it to make you feel good.



I just baked up some little homestyle biscuits, and we were happy. My 8 & a half year old had 2 bowls of dinner tonight! I think it went over well...and was so excited to be fixing it again! It also reheats well for lunch the next day or two.

Oh...and loved this 1st time out with the new & fancy-schmancy lazy cooker! Can't wait to use it again...and I'll now take it off my Christmas Wish List (for real)...

So...HAPPY FALL, Y'ALL!!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment