Friday, September 20, 2013

Fish on a Plank

I love holidays. So much. And when even a little-known holiday comes around, I give it the attention it deserves! This includes activities, attire, and (of course) the food!

One of my favorites is a fun holiday that is gaining speed in notoriety is International Talk Like a Pirate Day! Every September 19th, talk like a pirate. How fun is that? Then you can take it a step further by dressing like one. I wouldn't advise totally acting like one (just pretend you're acting like one). And then, here's more fun: EAT like a pirate!!

I really do think thru what to eat on holidays. And I like to combine some authenticity with fun. And my thought process may start small, I do a little research...and then something happens: my brain starts making connections. Sometimes it ends up with me giggling...like this one...

Pirates would eat seafood, amm-i-rite? And they might make a person they aren't so happy with walk the plank, amm-i-rite? And there are cedar planks made for grilling fish...amm-i-rite???

OK, so I had this crazy-hilarious-cool idea. Are you ready for this insanity?

Well...here's what I made my hubby do:

~~~~~~~~~~



FISH ON A PLANK


Ingredients:

~ 4-6 fish fillets, fresh or frozen (if frozen, make sure fillets are thawed)
~ about 4 lemons, sliced (about 4 slices per fish filet)
~ 1-2 spring rosemary or thyme per filet
~ seasonings: we used lemon-pepper seasoning (you can add fine sea salt, too)
~ cooking oil like olive oil (not spray)
~ melted butter (may or may not need)
~ wood planks - we bought cedar planks that fit 2 fillets per plank


Directions:

* soak wood planks in water for at least 1 hour

* make sure grill is cleaned & preheated

* rub planks with cooking oil

* place fillets on the planks, and add seasoning

* arrange planks on the grill, cook for about 10 minutes with cover closed

* if fish is looking a bit dry, lightly baste with melted butter

* arrange herb sprig(s) & lemon sliced on top of each fillet

* close cover & allow to cook on the grill for about 10 more minutes

* when done, remove planks from grill & serve

Yield: 1-2 fillets per person


~~~~~~~~~~

OK, I want to let you know about how far my brain went. Since I wanted to have my hubby try this on International TLAP Day...the fish to use was obviously TiLAPia! Amm-i-rite? And the citrus in the lemon would help ward off scurvy! Amm-i-rite?

So, yes...that's what we used. And we got frozen tilapia and did 6 fillets. They were beautiful! And? They were so delicious!!

I didn't know how it would turn out, but the whole idea was making me giggle. And my hubby loves grilling, but had never tried fish on a plank. So this was exciting & nerve-racking for the both of us. So glad it was great! And we may keep this on our upcoming menu...and next time may be with salmon! YUM!

And these beauties were served with "Seaweed Salad" (baby spinach & baby kale mix tossed in a splash of lemon juice & sea salt) and some gold potato quarters with butter, lemon juice & sea salt. Plus some sea salt flavored along with lime & pepper flavored rice crisp crackers. Because that's what Polly might want! Amm-i-rite? And I didn't have any hard tack. That will be done at a future time.



Even better...this is a a quick & super easy meal...that is really good for you, too!! There is so much win in this dish!

As a serving idea: use 1 fish fillet on the plank & use the plank as your platter for serving the meal! All fancy & contemporary looking. You'll look like a culinary genius!

For dessert...we had the free dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts that were given away for dressing like a pirate. But might I suggest my Rum Cannon Balls? (recipe HERE)

A couple more pirate-based recipes to come soon! Stay tuned for those...

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment