Thursday, September 5, 2013

Tortellini with Edamame and Smoked Sausage

Lately I've really been lazy & really looking for some cheater/fake-out recipes. But ones that are pretty, not too far off the beaten path, and still semi-good for you. I know, I know...it may be asking too much!

But am I really? Whether you like/love her or not, Rachael Ray has given way to fake-out recipes & trying to make the point that you can cheat some of the recipes, but if you watch what YOU put in it...you have more control over the ingredients that go into it, therefore, having more of a handle on the nutritional value of what you make.

I'm not gonna lie, when I made my Lazy Lasagna (recipe HERE), I wasn't keeping in mind the nutritional value, just the convenience of it. Still really good!

As I continued to search Pinterest & the rest of the interwebs for more "quick, cheap & easy" (yet elegant) meals to try with the family,  I came across a pasta dish that seemed easy enough (recipe HERE). Plus, it had edamame in it! I've been drawn to the edamame thing lately, so I was intrigued.

If you are still unaware of what edamame is, it happens to be a beautiful, sexy & attractive name for soy beans. Loaded with protein! I've actually been eating some roasted & lightly salted edamame that tastes surprisingly like mild peanuts. Seriously!

But back to the pasta dish, here's what I did:

**********



TORTELLINI WITH EDAMAME & SMOKED SAUSAGE


Ingredients:

~ 1 bag frozen tortellini (I used tri-color)
~ 1/2 C shelled, frozen edamame
~ 1 link smoked sausage (I used turkey), sliced or diced
~ 1/2 bell pepper (I used red), thinly sliced or diced
~ 1/4 C onion, diced OR 3 Tbsp minced onion
~ 1/2 C Italian Butter (recipe HERE - see step 2) or Italian dressing


Directions:

* Make tortellini to package directions; mine called for being in boiling water for 3-5 minutes (I lightly salted the water & added a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil - optional); I did 5 minutes - keep reading for why

* While the pasta is cooking, lightly spray a skillet or wok with cooking spray & saute the smoked sausage, bell pepper & onion

* in the last 2-3 minutes of the pasta cooking, add the edamame to the pasta water to finish out the cooking

* once the pasta & edemame are done cooking, remove from heat & drain

* mix the pasta & edamame with the sausage, pepper & onion

* when all mixed together, drizzle in the Italian butter or dressing & toss (I made the Italian butter)

* Serve

**********

I want you to know that this is one of the fastest & easiest dishes I have ever done! And it was beautiful!



We served it up with Italian bread. I think the whole meal took about 15 minutes with the prep! And it was really, REALLY good!!

Now, as for the edamame term, don't tell my kiddos...they think they are eating something fancy. OK? Thanks!

Now then...

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment