Monday, December 30, 2013

Rich & Creamy Cheater Hot Chocolate

My family began a tradition where, in the time between Thanksgiving & Christmas, each family member of the household would draw a number (before Thanksgiving) to decide which order we would go in to watch their Christmas movie & enjoy a Christmas treat of choice. Then the whole family partakes in the family member's indulgence.

When my turn came around, I picked one of my very favorite Christmas movies (based on my favorite children's book), "The Polar Express." Now, I was going to do a treat mixture of gingerbread cookies with eggnog. But when I realized my movie still hadn't been chosen & I had the chance to pick it...you gotta have hot chocolate with this movie!

So I took in the best of all of it! I brought back my Eggnog Mousse (recipe HERE) topped with my Gingerbread Streusel (recipe HERE). Since that's all edible, I made my drink of choice be hot chocolate!

My hubby had a pretty good idea of getting pre-made chocolate milk & heating it up. OK...not a bad thought. But I got thinking...this needs to be a decadent chocolate drink. But there wasn't a lot of set up time. So, here's what I made:

~~~~~~~~~~



RICH & CREAMY CHEATER HOT CHOCOLATE


Ingredients:

* half gallon pre-made chocolate milk
* 6-8 packets hot chocolate mix (without marshmallows)


Directions:

~ in a large pot, pour in the half gallon of chocolate milk

~ heat the milk on medium to medium-high heat to just boiling, stirring occasionally

~ once the milk has just hit boiling, reduce heat to lo to simmer & add in the hot chocolate packets

~ whisk vigorously until hot chocolate mix is dissolved

~ begin to ladle into mugs

OR

~ fill microwave-safe mugs with pre-made chocolate milk

~ place in microwave on high for one & a half to two minutes

~ pour in 1 hot chocolate packet into each mug, and stir vigorously



~ garnish your hot chocolate with marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired

~ serve


Yield: 6-8

~~~~~~~~~~


Oh-me, oh-my! This was so rich & chocolatey! And perfect for a super cold night with the family!

You're welcome.

Make it a cheater mocha! Pour in the chocolate milk instead of creamer with your coffee & stir in the hot chocolate packet. YUM!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment