Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Easy Fake-Out Egg Nog Mousse


My family began a brand new holiday family tradition this year. I say "tradition" since we plan on doing it for the rest of forever, or as long as we can. We put numbers in a bowl & had everyone draw a numbered slip out. That would be the order we would we would each choose a holiday movie & a Christmas treat for everyone to enjoy. We would spread it out over the month of December...or from right after Thanksgiving on.

It came to be my turn. And since someone had already chosen egg nog I decided to make an egg nog mousse (a slightly adapted recipe I found) instead & then created a gingerbread streusel since I couldn't find a recipe for one anywhere. (recipe HERE)

We have had some tiny dessert spoons tucked away for a very long time. I, then, found some tall shot glasses at Target for $1 each. So I made a trendy dessert shot that is all Christmas-y & stuff! And I turned them into tiny trifles.

For now, here is the egg nog mousse fake out I used:

EASY (FAKE-OUT) EGG NOG MOUSSE
Ingredients
1 lg pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
3 ½ C VERY cold prepared egg nog
1 sm tub whipped topping

Directions
1. Mix instant pudding mix & egg nog together, whisking for about 2 minutes
2. Let set in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes, or until set
3. Remove from the refrigerator & add in the tub of whipped topping, whisking together until fully mixed together
4. Place back into refrigerator to set until slightly firm
5. Serve

It's easy as that, folks! Then, to make the trifle, I layered the mousse with the streusel & some dehydrated tiny marshmallows!

Tiny trifle layered in tall shot glasses

So adorable, so festive, so tasty!

Or you can just place the mousse in a bowl & top with more whipped cream. Just as good!

And stay tuned for the streusel recipe coming soon...

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment