Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tingling Leprechaun

I love my coffee.

Yes, it's my vice. And it's ugly when/if I don't get it.

I do whatever I can to include my coffee in celebrations, too. Because I will have it! So I may as well include it into whatever holiday celebration. Amm-i-rite?

Around Cinco de Mayo & Dia de los Muertos, I will make my SPICY MEXI-MOCHA.
Much along the same lines, I have been making an Irish-inspired coffee for quite a while now. I thought I'd shared it here already, but then realized I had not! So I will do it now!

I've been enjoying this coffee drink both hot & cold. And I usually have it about once a week, and increases in consumption as St. Paddy's nears.

I, personally, am not a fan of the over-cheesy, "if it's green, it must be Irish," kind of thinking. Even though I love me a Shamrock Shake, I am not big on green mint stuff being used for St. Patrick's Day, either. Why? Because it's not authentic! However, I make a slight exception in this case. Why? Well...there's always cocktails & other drinks created with the most fun names...some even with a purpose! I created this drink (a coffee one) in 2008 while having a lot of time & resources on my hands at a stress-free job I had gotten. I went to the kitchen & grabbed my coffee, Irish Creme hot chocolate mix & found a chocolate-mint starburst hard candy in the candy dish, on my desk...so, I mixed them together. It seemed like it would taste pretty good...and it did! So much so, I played & tweaked to create this drink I still have about once a week, to this day!

Here's what I do:

**********




TINGLING LEPRECHAUN


Ingredients:

* 1 C freshly brewed coffee (non-flavored...just a delightful blend of your choice)
* 2 T chocolate syrup
* 4 T Irish Creme creamer
* 1 1/2 T chocolate/mint creamer
   (like International Delight York-flavor or Coffee Mate Peppermint Mocha -
     I prefer I.D.'s Peppermint Chocolate Truffle,
     but theirs disappointingly seasonal at Christmas)
* milk or half & half creamer
* ice - if making the iced version
* whipped topping (optional)




Directions for Hot:

~ brew the coffee

~ in a large mug, add in the chocolate syrup and flavored creamers

~ when the coffee is brewed, pour in the hot coffee into the mug

~ fill the rest of the mug up with the milk (I will use chocolate milk sometimes) or half & half

~ stir it all up, adding the whipped topping (if using)

~ begin to sip the deliciousness





Directions for Iced:

~ brew the coffee

~ in a tall glass, add in the chocolate syrup and flavored creamers

~ add in ice to fill about 1/4 of the glass

~ once the coffee is brewed, pour coffee into the glass & stir (ice will melt)

~ fill the glass almost to the top with the milk (I will use chocolate milk sometimes) or half & half

~ stir the coffee drink well

~ carefully add in some more ice until coffee reaches top of the glass

~ add the whipped topping (if using) and a straw

~ begin to drink the deliciousness

Tip: Use chilled coffee so it won't melt the ice nearly as quickly!



Yield: 1

**********

As a note: you can adjust these amounts of ingredients depending on your own tastes. Cut down on creamers & add more coffee, if you'd like. Or just add a splash of coffee & enjoy the the other flavors. I'm not there to judge.

On Sunday mornings, we are rushing around getting ready for church. I will make the iced version in a BIG travel cup (using about 3 times the amounts here...cuz...coffee...and chocolate), and then I will use a packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast, in the chocolate flavor, instead of the chocolate syrup. Then it's my breakfast mocha! YUM!!

My usual Sunday morning Tingling Leprechaun iced breakfast mocha


Also, feel free to try regular Bailey's Irish Creme instead of just the creamer (and maybe a bit of coffee liqueur) for an Irish coffee kick! It's the perfect name for a cocktail, anyway!

Then you can go on with your day, like on St. Paddy's, where you are set & ready to take in the events of St. Patrick's Day, or even your own Irish fare (several recipes HERE)!

*CHEERS*

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment