Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Spicy Mexi-Mocha (Mexi-Cocoa)

I love me my coffee. I love me some chocolate. I love me some Mexican food...Americanized or not. And I started diving into researching some Mexican culture when I was totally drawn into the Day of the Dead celebrations.

It was terribly exciting for me to find out that hot chocolate was go-to beverage in Mexico! So I came across a lot of different recipes for coffee & hot chocolate. I love me a good mocha...and I tend to cheat a mocha often. I will add an envelope of hot chocolate to my coffee. And it suffices. Perfect? No...but it is easy & I will drink it!

After I found these different recipes, I came up with my own easy & spicy Mexi-mocha concoction & would like to share it with you...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




SPICY MEXI-MOCHA


Ingredients:
1 C brewed coffee
1/4 C milk
1 envelope hot chocolate mix
1 T vanilla extract
2 T brown sugar
1 t ground cardamom
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves
pinch ground cayenne pepper
pinch chili powder
2 T honey
1 T granulated sugar

Directions:

* Once brewed, pour about a cup of coffee into a large mug.
* Place the contents of the hot chocolate into the coffee, then stir to dissolve.
* Add the milk, and stir.
* Add all the other ingredients, stir very well.

Top with a dollop of whipped topping & maybe sprinkle some cocoa or cinnamon for garnish. (the above picture has whipped topping & a sugar/cocoa/coffee bean mix from a grinder)

Serve.

** Makes 1 serving

NOTES: If you want an iced version, make sure the brewed coffee is chilled first, dissolve the hot chocolate mix in hot milk, and be sure to add plenty of ice and enjoy it from a larger glass!

If you want to leave out the coffee & make it the MEXI-COCOA, replace the coffee with boiling water or hot milk. BAM! Spicy Mexi-Cocoa!

A small splash of orange extract/flavoring or a tablespoon of orange juice gives a nice twist to this drink, too...hot or cold! You can also add some ground anise seed or a small splash of it's extract for a little more licorice...if that's your preference.

You can also put all of this (minus whipped topping) into a jar or bowl with a lid, shake it up & then strain into a mug or glass if you don't want the seasoning sediment. Then you can add the whipped topping...

Once in a while...if I have it on hand...I really love adding a square of Lindt Chili Dark Chocolate & allow it to melt in there, too. Seriously! YUM!! (like I did just this morning)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See? Just in time for Cinco de Mayo! Or the actual Mexican Independence Day on September 16th...or on Day of the Dead on November 1st-2nd.

Oh...and I like to make this from time-to-time...just because. It's that yummy!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment