Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Spicy Mexi-Cocoa Cake with Brown Sugar Whipped Cream

Oh man, I have really been enjoying my Spicy Mexi-Mocha lately! (recipe HERE)

Cinco de Mayo was about a month ago, of course. We fixed up quite a Mexican fiesta! It did include the Cliantro Lime Black Bean & Corn Salsa! (salsa recipe HERE)

Now, I wanted to include a dessert, of course! I wasn't sure how a Mexi-Mocha would go over since we had the kiddos, too...so I wanted to do up just the Spicy Mexi-Cocoa. However, I didn't know how long it would take us to eat, how full we'd be, and how long the company we had over was gonna be able to stay. So I was thinking how I could get it to last. So...I BAKED IT! Right along the lines of my Apple Irish Cream Cake. (recipe HERE)

Yes, I turned it into a cake. And since I tend to use cake mixes to play with, I didn't want to add too much sweet stuffs to the mix. So I did something else with the brown & granulated sugar.

So, here's what I did:

~~~~~~~~~~




Spicy Mexi-Cocoa Cake with Brown Sugar Whipped Cream


Cake Ingredients:
~ 1 box chocolate cake mix
   ~ use milk instead of water
   ~ use butter instead of the oil & double the amount
   ~ add one extra egg than the box directions call for
~ 2 T cinnamon
~ 2 t ground black pepper
~ 1 1/2 t salt
~ 1 t nutmeg
~ 1 t ground cloves
~ 1 t ground cardamom
~ 1 t chili powder
~ 3 pinches ground cayenne pepper
~ 2 T vanilla extract
~ 1 t orange extract
~ 1 t anise extract


Cake Directions:

~ Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

~ Place all ingredients into a large bowl, and then mix together well

~ Spray or grease cake pan - I used my trusty bundt pan

~ Transfer cake batter evenly into the cake pan

~ Bake for approximately 45 minutes; check at around 40 minutes with knife or toothpick insertion

(while baking, make the whipped cream - recipe below)

~ Once baked thru, pull out of oven & allow to cool in pan for about 5 minutes

~ Carefully turn cake out onto cake plate or platter

~ Allow to cool for about 15-20 minutes & sprinkle with powdered sugar or cocoa powder

~ When slicing & serving, top each slice with a drizzle of honey & a dollop of brown sugar whipped cream:


Brown Sugar Whipped Cream Ingredients:

~ 1 C heavy whipping cream
~ 1/4 C packed brown sugar
~ 1 T granulated sugar


Brown Sugar Whipped Cream Directions:

~ Place ingredients into a medium bowl

~ With a hand-held mixer, whip ingredients together on medium until firm; about 5 minutes (do NOT over-whip)

~ May sprinkle a little cocoa powder or cinnamon on top, if desired ...or some chili powder if you want more spice


~~~~~~~~~~

OK...we didn't get to enjoy the cake on Cinco de Mayo. We were so full. But got to try it the next day. And...
Oh...My...Yum.

Just some chocolate, cake, sweet, and a little bite of spice...just so good!

Of course, not just for Cinco de Mayo, but also for Dios de los Muertos (Day of the Dead - November 1st & 2nd) or even September 16 &/or 27th.

For a little mocha variation, you can either do half a cup of strong brewed coffee & half cup milk in the cake batter instead of the 1 cup of milk, or you can make a glaze of powdered sugar, chilled brewed coffee & milk.

That slice you see in the above picture is mine! And it's already gone. I might grab me another...

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment