Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lemon Cucumber Water

"...'Tis the season for hy-dra-tion.
Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la"

If you know of my friend, Katy, at I Want a Dumpster Baby (blog HERE; Facebook HERE), you will see she is great for encouraging others (along with reminding herself) to HYDRATE-HYDRATE-HYDRATE! I thank her for a lot of things...and this is only one of them. And I am thankful for it.

I have seen/read &/or heard about great ways to train the body & brain to hydrate the right way. WATER! Even though all liquid you put into your body somewhat counts, it's the water that is the absolute best! Though it's so refreshing in those times when you are parched, it can get tired & lifeless when you need to suck down 64 oz of it (or half your body weight in ounces...whichever...just drink it).

Now, I have heard using a fun &/or bold water bottle or cup/glass will encourage the eye to want it. You know: a visual cue. I've heard of folks who use a schedule to drink down the water & just force it. If that works for you...then whatever! Then, here's my current trick: surprise your taste buds. That's right! Make your mouth & belly WANT that water!

I know there are packets you can get to add to water bottles. But the Crystal Light (best of this bunch, by the way), Gatorade, Koolaid, Mio, etc. all add some extra chemicals & sugars that you want to stay away from! Tea is good for you...but don't do it all the time. SAVOR the tea! Coffee is my best kick start...but I know I need the absolute agua (yes, "water"...not vodka) into my body, too. But it's so hard for me!!!

Well...I discovered self-flavored water!! You get the refreshing water you need while having a hint of taste. And it's from fruits (mostly...sometimes veggies) that are so good for you! No adding a ton of extra calories & additives/preservatives. Just fresh water that my body does tend to want!!

Here's my new-found flavored water:

~~~~~~~~~~



LEMON CUCUMBER WATER

Ingredients:

~ 2-3 cucumbers (English or seedless variety), thinly sliced
~ 2 medium lemons; thinly sliced & deseeded
~ about a gallon of filtered or tap water
~ a few ice cubes (optional)


Directions:

* wash/rinse cucumbers & lemons before slicing
* thinly slice the cucumber & lemon
* make sure there are no seeds
* place the produce slices into a 1 gallon pitcher (preferably one with a slotted lid)
* fill the pitcher with water (add a few ice cubes if desired)
* place in refrigerator for a few hours (at least 1 hour)
* drink throughout the day
* repeat


Notes:

= If you make up the water before you go to bed at night, it will be ready to begin consumption the next morning

= The cucumber & lemon slices may be used about 4 times of filling the pitcher. After that, discard of the slices & begin with new ones.

= Save a slice of cucumber AND a slice of lemon to garnish your cup/glass with as garnish. *PRETTY*

= I used this water to make a few cups of hot tea with...and it is SO good!

= An idea is to freeze the flavored water in ice trays, then they will melt slowly into your water or unsweet iced tea! (Ok...I just heard all my southern sweet-tea drinkers gasp...I'm sure it's fine in your sweet tea, too.)

~~~~~~~~~~

I have seen on Pinterest where there is a "detox water", too. I have my own version of that, also, as a change up. I will cover it in the near future.

Also...if you use a reusable cup/glass or a refillable bottle, you're helping the environment, too!

Until then, and as Katy would say, "HYDRATE-HYDRATE-HYDRATE!" Oh...and love every bit of this refreshment in a fun &/or bold cup or bottle. Your body will love you back for it!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment