Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Figgy Brownies

On the Ides of March, in 2012, I went all out in finding a feast fit for a Caesar.

Along with the feast that included Easy Italian Butter Grilled Cheese Croutons (recipe HERE), I wanted to end the evening with a dessert.

I had seen recipes for Oreo-filled cookies & brownies. That's always a win-win situation for me! I wanted to try it, but my brainy-brain got working...and that can truly be frightening sometimes.

When I thought thru this whole feast, I really imagined figs being a part of the menu. Even though I had some filled with cream cheese & wrapped in bacon (recipe coming in a future post), I got the idea to surround a fig newton cookie in a brownie. Yum, right?

So...since it was earlier in my baking, and kind of in my early cooking stages, it's a very easy & cheater dessert!

Here's what I did:


~~~~~~~~~~



FIGGY BROWNIES


Ingredients:

Brownie mix (fave recipe or store-bought mix - I used a mix)
1 package fig newton cookies

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or according to brownie package directions

According to package directions, prepare mix as stated OR mix up your fave recipe

In a baking pan or dish, which should be greased or sprayed with cooking spray, place about half the brownie batter in the bottom of the pan, evenly

Place fig newton cookies, side-by-side, in a single layer on the batter in the pan/dish

Cover the fig newton cookie layer, evenly, with the remainder of the brownie batter

Place in oven for the amount of time the brownie recipe or package directions calls for

Take out of the oven & allow to cool

Cut & serve

Yield: about 1 dozen
~~~~~~~~~~

Just a couple of notes:

1. These are very thick & heavy!

2. I used a dessert bar pan (aka - square cupcake pan). I place a spoonful of brownie mix in each opening, then the fig cookie, then another spoonful of batter. Then they are already separated out.


Even though I used these for the Ides of March, I sent a couple to my MIL & her hubby. They LOVED them!

Also, a song pops in my head:

*ahem*

"Bring me a figgy brownie! O, bring me a figgy brownie! O, bring me a figgy brownie,and bring one right here!
"I won't go until I get one..."(well, you get the idea)

So I figure these would work as a Christmas goodie, too!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment